PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kensington Fire
Thread: Kensington Fire
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2017, 07:15
Hompy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kensington Fire

What a tragedy. RIP to all those lives lost and condolences to the families of the missing.

I salute the firefighters who went in to save lives. Brave.

Difficult to pick out the facts and I know there is an inquiry. However, I read a report that there were no units tall enough to reach the upper floors. There are many questions yet unanswered about why regulations were not in place etc. However, as a helicopter pilot I was looking at the footage taken during the night and it was possible to make out the roof in the aerial shots which seemed to stay clear of flames. With coastguard helicopters ready and within range would this be considered an option by anybody and if not why not? It seems people were in the tower hours after the first firemen got there, within the response time of the coastguard. I am aware that there would be updraught, danger from smoke, bad flyaway. However, I believe there are/were marine fire teams ready to be deployed to burning ships and rigs, what about for tower blocks built in the 70s? Would it be considered by the coordinating team and if not why not?

Hompy