PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after take off in light piston engine twins
Old 15th Jun 2017, 20:09
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarq57
The limited twin training I've done was in a PA30.
One of the exercises was to practice an approach from about 3500', dirty. Airfield elevation was assumed to be 3000'. At 3300' the instructor commanded an overshoot, and failed the right engine. I responded promptly with the required rudder, and lowered the nose to maintain the blueline. I remember being surprised at how aggressively and how much I had to lower the nose, and we only just maintained the required speed. It took me maybe 10 seconds to identify and feather the powerplant, and to raise flaps to takeoff setting, then we started a leisurely climb. From 2800'.

The instructor told me that sort of height loss at the weight we were was fairly representative, and you'd be doing extremely well to only lose 300'.

Lose an engine below about 500-1000 on departure on the average, fairly underpowered training twin, you're basically going to look for the best place to put it down, more or less straight ahead.

There is no need to do such training so low. The demo I experienced was quite graphic.
Why not feather the dead side immediately ?