PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 15th Jun 2017, 19:36
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
NaB - but that 5Bn pa would fund a lot of the NHS, provide infrastructure projects and help a lot of people not in proones lucky world - I inhabit that same world but recognise I am one of the very fortunate ones.

Proone - done similar trips but now try to commute on the M3, M25, M6, M62 or God forbid, Southern Rail, try to get a doctor's appointment to fit in with your working commitments, try to save for a mortgage when your landlord is demanding the moon on a stick for your rent, try to spend less than 4 hour in an A&E department for a broken ankle, try to get routine surgery in less than 6 months, try to get a council house as an ex- mil veteran of Afghan who has been forced out of the Army - then tell me just how 1st world we really are.

The Lib Dems were the only party to be up front about tax - if we want to fix the country we have to pay for it - all of us, not just the Trostky's enemies earning over £80K. if we don't want to pay the tax then we have to get rid of things we can't afford and I agree that foreign aid is a good place to start.

One massive problem is the cost of public service pensions which is what cripples the NHS and most councils - I like a few here get a comfortable military pension and now pay into a company scheme where my employer matches my 6% salary sacrifice - the equivalent public sector pension has the taxpayer providing 25% and we wonder why it is so unaffordable.