PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2017, 09:41
pholling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFHKG
Having caused some debate by calling T3 security "horrendous" last Tuesday afternoon after a 30 minute delay, I thought I would post on my other security experiences since then. LHR T5 : through security twice and less than 5 minutes on both occasions, VLC just 3 minutes and HKG this morning just 2 minutes. Queues moving quickly and sufficient security lanes open to handle passengers. Sorry, Manchester T3 security was grossly understaffed on Tuesday last week and that is solely down to MAG who employ the security staff. I am through KUL, BKI, TPE and ICN in the next 10 days and I am confident that none of those will repeat my experience of MAN.

Incidentally, I don't believe that MAN are any more security conscious than other airports - in fact HKG insisted in inspecting my compact stapler recently, whilst LHR ran an explosive test on my toiletries, both of which were of no interest to the guys at MAN.
All of which says basically nothing. I have had 40 min queues at LHR T5 before. Without having seen the image of your bags it is impossible to determine why any security officer chose to/not to send it for further screening. Most airports have a policy that 'random' bags will also be selected for certain types of further screening, e.g. explosive testing. In fact some systems do it entirely automatically.

That being said T3 can be a disaster, the current screening area is really wedged in. MAG seem to get staffing levels wrong on a fair number of occasions. Manchester's biggest issue with security is that it has all been retrofitted into existing terminal floor plates. Most of these terminals hark back to an era when fewer people travelled and carried less into the cabin. Most airports that I have been to that date from this era have issues with security screening especially at peak times. At off peak times most airports I have been through your time in screening is entirely the time it takes you to process through.