PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 15th Jun 2017, 09:22
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
crab,

Are you depressed? Suffering from lack of self esteem or loss of confidence?

If you REALLY think that the UK is approaching third world status and that we have no money then if one of the above does not apply then you are simply deluded.

Have you ever been to a genuine third world nation? If you had then you would know what arrant nonsense you spout. If you have then you are being disingenuous, or one of the conditions at the start must surely apply.

The UK is the fifth richest economy on the planet, the ninth largest industrial nation and has an influence and affect globally. We are THE financial hub of the world and are a key member of every global 'club' that you care to mention in economic, military and intelligence terms.

I recently travelled from New York to London, flying on a wonderful A380 which was over 60% British built in content, arriving at Heathrow, where I entered through an auto passport scanner, ordered a Uber from the terminal, was picked up in 6 minutes, travelled to West London in 15 minutes, then went into Central London on the Tube, walked down Whitehall, sat in a wonderful office for half a day with views of the new and the historic, travelled back to West London on the tube, then drove out to Oxfordshire on the M40, stayed in Oxford, travelled back to London on the train from the new Oxford station and was in Marylebone in about half an hour, in the centre again in 15 minutes, leaving at the end of the day by Thameslink to my final destination.

If you think that you can do any of that in that manner in the third world then you ARE deluded.

You DO have a point in terms of lack of investment and underfunding though. In 1950 income tax was at 50%, the equivalent of Corporation tax was at the same rate and we as a nation managed to drag ourselves out of the ashes of World War 2 and at the same time introduce the NHS, the Welfare state and develop a nuclear bomb.

Constantly cutting the tax take has had its effect.