PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dragon KA8348 Turned Around Mid-Flight Because Pilot Forgot His Map
Old 13th Jun 2017, 21:51
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SloppyJoe
Would anyone else have just used their ipad and kept quiet, or is it just me?
No it's not just you. I think most thinking pilots (and airlines for that matter) would have figured out SOME way to get the mission done safely and even as legally as can be given the situation. You've already launched without the charts necessary to complete the intended flight so whatever rules might be there are already broken. The key next is to do what is safe and makes sense. Possibly what you said, possibly it might be get chart data airborne (which verifies what you're looking at on your iPad is correct), complete the flight and have ground staff meet you at destination with what you need. And possibly if the weather is bad where you are going it might be better to divert and get what you need or turn back. People make mistakes and sometimes a few along the line do. Pilots jobs are to figure out what comes next to best solve the problem presented -- fix the problem don't fix the blame.

To me this kinda rings of the (possibly embellished) Quantas ditch vs autoland at a field below mins story.

That's why the OP seemed kinda screwy to me. Looked more like a cover story for something else which happened. If you look at the comedy of errors that had to happen and the comedy of actions which followed it just doesn't seem all that plausible. So I think something else might have been afoot.

Last edited by Shep69; 13th Jun 2017 at 22:09.