PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces braced for more cuts .....
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2017, 09:08
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
5. Accelerate the sale of MoD property - maybe using an incentivised private partner
Thereby stripping Defence and the UK taxpayer of more valuable space/assets to be sold for short term profit to industry (see OWO).

6. Slow the deliveries of P-8 - we've managed for several years with no Marine (sic) Patrol Aircraft - 5 would be better than none
Can't be done as the production line closes shortly after our current planned deliveries. Slowing deliveries rarely, if ever, "saves" money it just moves a bigger problem to later years - hence the MoD "bow wave". 5 MPA would be pointless.

8. Pull out of Bahrain, Kenya & Cyprus
Completely missing the strategic importance of all 3 bases!!

9. Drastically reduce the number of SOs, HQs, Whitehall staffs
You haven't been to MoD recently have you? What work do you suggest we stop doing to save all of these posts? These people aren't sat around doing nothing!! Comparing us to the Israelis is facile - I don't see the Israelis joining in major coalitions or treaty orgs like NATO and FPDA. I don't see the Israelis deploying semi-permanently OOA. I don't see the Israeli Govt using military power for global influence as our politicians like to do.