PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot followed GPS to airstrip that didn't exist.
Old 10th Jun 2017, 20:44
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few yeas ago some colleagues showed me a copy of a Press and Journal article from something of a while ago.

There were 4 of us kneeing in front of my aircraft of the time. Generally a fairly nice article which was quite sensible. Not in the article was the reporter talking about the detail of his flight, there was some stuff about looking at Bennachie and the Garioch but he forgot (?) to talk about the PFL.

In the aircraft he was banging on about the usual plummet and puppy farm other stuff, we had arranged all this after an unfortunate forced landing that got a lot of negative publicity.
So I closed the throttle at around 2500 fairly close to the airfield and we glided. I talked to him all the way down, giving a commentary on too high, too low, too slow etc

We touched down and rolled to a halt just outside the club house and that was where the photo was taken.

The lesson is that newspaper memories last about a week!!!

Because the next unfortunate forced landing, the little beggar had already left!