PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot followed GPS to airstrip that didn't exist.
Old 10th Jun 2017, 17:58
Danny42C

A similar quandary 73 years ago may be of interest:

(From my Post on Military Aviation> "Gaining a R.A.F. Pilot's Brevet in WWII"> Page 139, #2777).
...A signal came in to move to Double Moorings. "Double Moorings?"....."Never heard of it!" ... A lat & long was given, we plotted it ..... "It's Chittagong !"... "No, it isn't" .... The fix was a couple of miles away, between Chittagong and the sea. Most of us knew the area well ..... "There's nothing there !" ..... It was pointless, we'll just have to go and see. If we can't find anything at the spot, we'll land at Chittagong and take it from there.

The RAF (B) Flight took the lead in this bemused frame of mind, crossed straight over the Bay and reached the coast just off the position. Our Flight Commander, "Bill" Boyd Berry (henceforth "BBB") took our box round in a wide sweep. It really did look as if there was nothing there. We were in loose formation, spread out so that everyone could have a good look.

I spotted it first - or thought I did; the outline of a strip seemed to swim out of the bare paddy fields like a figure in a Ishihara plate.* I was on BBB's wing, I waggled and pointed downwards. He signalled me to take over the lead, and the rest strung out behind; I sincerely hoped that I was right. BBB hung some way back, ready to overshoot with the rest if I rolled myself into a ball on touchdown.

* Used to test for colour blindness: if you're colour blind, you can't see the numeral which is "hidden" among other colours.

But I was right. There was a strip there, but only recently bulldozed out of the paddy bunds, never been used, unworn and so perfectly camouflaged. The rest trundled in after me, and we surveyed our new home....
Danny42C.