PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU to tackle unfair airline competition
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2017, 15:33
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's look at other regions. Like the former Eastern Bloc, the Americas, Russia, Asia etc. Each of these regions have different social norms, different religions and trading practices. But at their heart they have economies that are worth trading with. The UAE does not, so what's in it for us? Even the Chinese are putting something back into the African hosts whose countries they are currently raping.

Fat, bloated, inefficient - these are all adjectives that can quite correctly be used to describe many European airlines. But in turn, the societies from which they operate can also be described as open, fair, caring, tolerant, moral, progressive etc. But this comes at a price. That price can be paid by allowing fair access, trade or tariffs. The countries hosted by the ME3 offer nothing in return. Trade is trade, meaning both sides should get something out of it. Our current arrangement is unbalanced and needs redress.

Lastly, our lives are richer if they are made up of more than just money. Being valued, treated with respect, having the opportunity to do what you want and not having to worry too much about your future. But when you trade with people who offer nothing in return these things become harder to achieve.

So I'm in total agreement with you. We'll stick to our bit of the world and the ME3 can stick to its own. Problem solved.