PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadet program
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2017, 06:40
psycho joe

Location: shivering in the cold dark shadow of my own magnificence.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are a whole gamut of urban recruiting myths being run here, and whilst it might be cathartic for some to believe these fallacies as self evident truths, the reality is more benign;

1. Airline recruiters don't want the best pilots, they are actively engaging in affirmative action ie they want minority pilots.

Despite some ridiculous things that get said in the media from time to time, no airline in Australia engages in affirmative action for pilot recruitment. Airlines don't have the budget to waste time on unsuitable people and no Pilot involved in the recruitment process would sully their reputation by being involved in such a folly.

2. I have a friend who's a great bloke who failed an interview, therefore the recruitment process is invalidated.

Nobody who ever failed an airline recruitment process in the history of aviation has ever gone back to their friends and explained that in the interview they acted like a total muppet. They lied or demonstrated an inability to accept responsibility, they couldn't articulate a single thought process, or that when they get stressed their natural response is to become obnoxious and that this was demonstrated to perfection in the process.

3. Airlines are nepotistic, they want airline captain's sons.

When an airline says "what sort of people do we want?" they look at their best and then actively recruit people with those qualities. It's not rocket science or even a stretch to think that an exceptional Captain may have a son/daughter with similar qualities and personality traits.

4. I'm awesome and didn't pass the recruitment process, therefore the airline doesn't recognise awesomeness, I've been discriminated against and the whole process is invalidated.

Nope. It worked perfectly.

If your natural response to being critiqued is anger and an inability to accept responsibility (apportioning blame), then be happy in the knowledge that you are the reason why there is a vetting process.

Last edited by psycho joe; 10th Jun 2017 at 08:23.