PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from a Canadian PPL to EASA UK PPL
Old 9th Jun 2017, 13:21
dteszka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion from a Canadian PPL to EASA UK PPL

I have been searching around for information on this process for a while and still can't find a clear cut answer.
I'd like to convert my Canadian PPL(A) to an EASA PPL A in the UK. My TC medical is current, total time is around 300 hours, over 100 PIC, with night and multi engine ratings.

UK Class 2 medical is done and in hand, but it's the next step that is confusing. So far, the list of requirements I've come up with is:
- class 2 medical (done)
- complete 3 theory exams: (Air Law, Human Performance & Limitations, and Radiotelephony) - do I get some sort of certificate after completion of these?
- complete a flight skills test with a UK EASA examiner (any suggestions?)

Also, do I need to be current/revalidated in order to convert the license? According to the Canadian Aviation Regulations I'm not current to carry passengers anymore (6 month requirement - I have no take offs or landings in nearly a year), but fulfill the 5 year and 2 year requirements. I have let my Night and Multi Engine ratings lapse long ago, but at the moment I am just interested in converting the base PPL - any issue with that?

After the exams and flight test is completed, what paperwork do I have to send and to whom? A search of the CAA website revealed a ridiculously complex new form, SRG 2142 for 'Verification of third country ICAO license'. As far as I understand this applies only from July 1st this year, but I probably won't finish the above by then! There is no mention of any examination, flight time, or checkride requirements.. so more confusion.

If anyone has any advice or has gone through this process, your help is greatly appreciated!