PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU to tackle unfair airline competition
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2017, 11:20
SMT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why on earth would the EU care about the APD tax in the UK? They're on their way out, in case you didn't get the memo.

Here's a quote from the article: The move comes after repeated complaints from some European airlines, notably Air France KLM and Lufthansa, about Gulf carriers receiving illegal government subsidies, charges Emirates, Qatar Airways and Etihad all deny.

No mention of IAG, who've been awfully silent in this debate. Surely not because they are partially owned by Qatar?

It is also interesting to read, what 'sanctions' the EU will bring upon non-EU airlines who, following a complaint from an EU carrier, are found to be engaging in unfair practices: They'll go after ground handling and/or impose financial penalties. This elegantly skirts around the issue of traffic rights, as in 'sure, you can land in FRA, but there won't be anybody there to handle your flight and, oh, here's bill for a couple of millions'.

The loser here will be the consumers, who will have to pay the actual going rate for a jolly to Bangers. Well, the ME3 would also stand to lose much, if not all, but I for one couldn't care less what hardship airlines based in a theoratic dictatorship might face. I'd rather protect taxpaying jobs in the EU, if it comes to that.