PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Oil Company?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2017, 08:28
Sir Niall Dementia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having lived through the Shell treatment of operators in the 1990's I'm only surprised that this hasn't been focused on more over the years. Shell's behaviour bordered on mental cruelty. I found myself on unpaid leave, then redundant, then re-hired, then threatened with redundancy again.

Back then I was flying S61 and AS332 both SNS and NNS through a five year period of doubt. Eventually a bright BALPA rep stepped in with management to get some alleviation of the problem. I was concerned every day at work that the distraction caused by the worries in the cockpit and in engineering were going to lead to a major incident.

In the end Shell went, there was a short, nasty period of pain. Some good people lost their jobs, the company pulled back and suddenly we were as busy as ever, because Shell were no longer the cancer inside calling the shots.

Shell spout safety at every available opportunity, in my experience they put hundreds of people at risk because of their shoddy treatment of critical contractors, and the games they played with those contracting companies.

Just one instance: after the Cormorant A crash Shell banned deck landings in winds over 50kt. A few weeks later I was called out for a freighter to the basin. The winds were 75kt gusting 85kt over the deck. When we queried the pressure to fly we were informed that the 50kt limit only applied when humans were on board the aircraft, a check revealed that pilots were not "human" according to Shell rules because they were third party contractors ("Oh and don't forget we're in contract review now" came from the Shell rep). In the end the 50kt limit was ignored as soon as the Autumn storms swept in and people were trapped off-shore for days at a time. Even then the real reason appeared to be that most of the workers were contractors, charging extra for not getting back on time.

Shell blithely forget that in aviation you can have financial economy or safety, the two don't go hand in hand. Safety costs, either at the front end by providing every level of safety needed to operate, or at the back end when there are dead and injured passengers, but I suppose Shell work on the theory that they pay insurance premiums so let the insurance companies pick up the claims for death and injury.

Just my experience, doubtless others have better and worse, and no doubt Shell Management will be along shortly to tell you all that I'm wrong and it couldn't have happened. 500 staff in one company know it did.

SND