PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an ATPL equal to BSc or BA?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2017, 10:02
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Homsap
I have to say, my view was rather jaundiced, beause I have known people in the adscence on post nominal in the form a degree or chartered status have 'bought' a MRAES as a post nomininal, to give the impression they are more qualified than they are when seeking consultancy work. I think it would be better if the M was removed it give the impression of a masters, why not simply use RAES as a post nominal.
The "m" determines level of membership and this is the same for all institutes. There are "Associate" or "Licensurate" levels for people working towards full membership, then there are "Member" levels for people who have achieved it, and usually "Fellow" levels for those who significantly contribute to either their field or their instutute. So you have LRAeS, MRAeS and FRAeS - they mean different things and are not (in my experience) really confused with degree post-nominals.

As for post nominals in surgery a MRCS incolves post graduate exams to be passed, likewise does FRCS again its based on further exams. I believe MRCP which GP's have is the same process.
And for engineering the exemplifying qualifications for Chartered Engineer are an accredited Masters degree supported by an Accredited Honours degree, but they are a bit flexible and allow people to offer equivilent knowledge and understanding that has been developed by other means.

In respect of I and probably everyone else on this thread upon payment of £302 to the RAES, could put MRAES after their name, which rather goes against how you describe it as part of a developmental process.
Only if you have the required qualifications and experience. My fdaughter would not be able to get MRAeS simply by paying the fee. That's kinda the point.

As for me I think two academic post nominals is enough and as to my membership of RAES, as Groucho Marx said 'I would never want to a meber of a club who would have me as a member'
From the sounds of it they wouldn't want you anyway due to sub-optimal attitudes. I'm not currently a member of the RAeS because in my current role the IET is more appropriate, but I could move my flag back there if circumstances warranted it because C.Eng is an Engineering Council registration; it's not owned by any one institute.