PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadet program
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2017, 09:21
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Coopmeup
Thanks for the encouragement Flyboy. The bitterness of being rejected even though I know in myself I will make a better pilot that every one they finally choose will make my eventual success taste even sweeter.

P.S. I am so sick of nepotism it isn't funny.
First off, it isn't nepotism. Applicants who know people in the company (whether they be friends or family) do a unique insight to the recruiting process of an airline and are able to gain that knowledge prior to their selection process. They may get an advantage because of this, but that isn't proof of nepotism. Plenty of senior captains out there who have kids that have been knocked back from from cadetships.

Second of all, if any future applicants are reading this, don't for one second be arrogant enough to think that you "will make a better pilot than every one else they choose". Remember in Top Gun when Viper tells Maverick that he likes arrogance in a pilot? Well airlines absolutely hate overt arrogance in their pilots, and it's the easiest way to rejected from a cadet interview.

5 out of the 8 cadets were females.

I would be willing to bet that less than 10% of the applicants were female.
Lastly for all those whinging about affirmative action and girls getting the jobs over the boys, having known plenty of female cadet pilots, they are absolutely at the top of their game and do give the boys a run for their money. I've no doubt anyone selected for this program, regardless of gender, was at the top of their selection pile. It may just be coincidence that it was 50% female, and the females were the stronger, more motivated candidates than the men. But more likely there were probably just as many female applicants as male. I'm hearing in some university and flying school courses that female enrolments are equal to or are exceeding male enrolments in the last few years. The old boys club of aviation is gone. No use complaining, you weren't up to scratch, better start worrying about the rest of your career.

Last edited by dr dre; 8th Jun 2017 at 09:55.