PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question re extending downwind.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2017, 17:15
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peter Geldard
In the States it is quite usual for a person to extend their downwind to allow someone to land/vacate the runway.
This is usually announced as: "Call my base" i.e. telling the person who is extending downwind when it is clear for them to turn on to final.
What I find in Europe in general is that as soon as a radio frequency is formally designated as "Radio" or "Info", all of a sudden pilots become afraid to talk to each other, and instead assume that everything has to go via the poor bloke sitting in the clubhouse, with no visual on the circuit.

That radio frequency is first and foremost a safety device. If you need it to verify someones position, use it. And if you don't know the proper ICAO/CAPwhatever phraseology, use plain English.

"Aircraft on final, I'm late downwind, do you have me in sight? Can you call me when abeam?"

"Aircraft on final, I don't have you in sight. Can you wiggle your wings and turn your landing light on?"

In this respect, the Traffic/Unicom frequency in the US at least offers a far easier premise: "There's nobody on the ground to help you, so TALK TO EACH OTHER!"