PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question re extending downwind.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2017, 14:40
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At uncontrolled fields regardless of there being an AG service I make position calls starting 10 miles out and the usual circuit calls all the way down to short final then when clear of runway just like I would if at a field with no other traffic or AG, this hopefully prompts the other guy(s) to respond in kind giving you an indication of where to look to attain visual contact (which I would deem mandatory for safety prior to turning base). If the other guy has no radio or is not the talkative type and I still did not have a visual I would again self announce that I was extended my downwind till I received either confirmation he was on the deck or had him in sight and I was safe to turn base. If airspace prevents continuing down wind I would self announce prior to commencing a 360 turn to the outside of pattern and again prior to rejoining the downwind midfield, then commence the talking and looking process again till visual with the other traffic or repeat the 360. Bottom line I am not going to fly in a direction or altitude that could put me on a collision course. If I ain't visual with other traffic I ain't going there.

Once on the ground I would with the upmost respect suggest to the "straight in" guy that perhaps if he was bent on doing straight in's while others are in the pattern a bit proactive position reports regardless of what the AG is doing would be extremely helpful. The AG is for field advisorys only, my understanding is they are NOT in any way responsible nor should be relied upon for separation or traffic management. It's uncontrolled VFR, see and avoid, that is entirely your responsibility.

Last edited by piperboy84; 7th Jun 2017 at 15:27.