PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question re extending downwind.
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2017, 12:45
Beethoven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question re extending downwind.

Quick question to gather opinions on how to deal with the following, assuming A/G or AFIS if I may. I'm on downwind, preparing to turn base but I am aware of an A/C on final which I cannot see. in order not to cut this A/c up I would assume one would extend downwind until the A/C on final passes abeam. However I am aware that extending downwind is often seen as bad form (disruption of circuit size...noise abatement etc.) and am curious to know how to deal with this situation without extending downwind. Indeed one of our runway's downwind would take you into controlled airspace if you extended it by very much!
My concern is in the event of a non-sighting of the aircraft at all (as has happened to me a few times) would anyone turn base NOT having seen the aircraft pass them?

Would there be any (safe) way to I initiate a go-around from the late or extended downwind position back into the circuit without possibly conflicting with the unseen aircraft on final. I have heard people say that a go- around from here is simply to fly the circuit pattern at circuit height without descending but to me that implies still turning base in front of the AC on final and hoping it is not going to go-around and thus cause conflict, or even possibly it is on a very steep straight-in. I am very much aware of the use of RT in these situations but all too often it proves inaccurate.

Thanks in anticipation.