PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad explosion SCREEN not battery
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2017, 06:50
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's interesting that anyone would say "iPads are not certified for use above 10,000ft".

I'm sceptical that this is the truth. Many major airlines, including my own, have formally approved the full-time inflight pilot use of iPads for operationally critical information including flight planning, departure and approach charts, FCOM reference (including emergency procedures), takeoff and landing performance data, and so on.

If we were to have a pressurisation malfunction or a decompression and the cabin altitude was to rise above 10,000ft with the likelihood of an iPad "explosion", then a lot of airlines could be in a lot of trouble. It's very hard to believe that none of them - not a single one - hasn't already ensured that the iPad is safe to use through the full range of operational and emergency scenarios.

One thing my airline does specify in written SOPs though, is that the charger and cable (which is allowed to be connected to any 110V-240V cockpit power socket) must be genuine Apple products.