PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2017, 08:56
A320.b744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAX_LHR
So tell me, if the B788 is optimal for PVG etc, then why 'waste' it on LHR etc too, when the B777 has the capacity and cabins, especially the B77W to operate said routes? Surely LHR is just as 'short' a route as MAN?
You're forgetting that the likes of LHR, CDG etc are key routes where ultimately frequency is as important as capacity for AA. Operating four daily ORD-LHR is more beneficial for AA than operating just two B77W flights as it allows people greater choice in connections.

Also, you say MAN is not a key destination from OR, well, it must mean something to AA for it to have been operated since 1985 with just seasonal breaks while bigger cities have been cut.
No, MAN is not a key destination. Key European cities would be the likes of DUB, LHR, CDG, MAD, FCO, ZRH, MXP, FRA, AMS, BRU - business cities that are essential for a global network.

I do give MAN credit, however, in its ability in recent years to attract new business, and given the growth of the city's economy I would say that eventually MAN would become a key business destination - just not yet.

Seems to me you are one of those who have a downer on MAN and feel we should get back in line as a regional airport that's lucky to have long haul.....
No, I'm just able to look objectively at the situation. Eventually MAN will be exclusively operated by a B788, but I can assure you that it won't be for the foreseeable future.

Currently AA have 31 B763s, 20 B788s and 7 B789s (with 15 on order). 7 B763s will be retired this year, and a further 7 will be retired next year. The 17 remaining aircraft are being refitted with wifi and will remain in operation for the foreseeable future.

In total, AA have 15 B789s and 22 A359s on order, however the A359s won't be delivered until 2020. That means there will be 14 B763s leaving the fleet and 15 B789s joining the fleet over the next two years.

The new B789s on order will be used on the more successful B788 routes, leaving the B788s free to operate routes operated by the B763 - makes more economic sense than going straight from a B763 to B789.

Even when compared to a retrofitted B763, the B788 is a more comfortable aircraft. Therefore it makes a lot more sense for the B788 to initially replace the B763 on some of its longer routes such as DFW-MXP, which is over 5,300 miles, or on their flagship routes that connect to important hubs, e.g. ORD-LHR, where frequency and a high quality cabin is as important as capacity.

Ultimately, the remaining B763s will be used on the shorter and less lucrative routes until they are phased out post 2020. It is worth noting that AA haven't yet ordered any replacement aircraft for the remaining 17 B763s, so it could be well into the next decade before they are retired for good.