PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces braced for more cuts .....
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2017, 07:59
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me we need more Police, we need more Doctors, we need more Nurses and we need more Military. However it doesn't matter who agrees to provide them 'on the streets' the fact remains, they are all highly trained Professionals - it takes years for them to reach the point where they are useful. Doctors take 5 years and then another 5 to make it to senior positions and levels of experience, Nurses 5 years, Policemen 3 years plus a further 2 years of specialization and Military probably at least 3 years (depending on service and role).

So what I am getting at here is that even if funds are agreed there is no immediate improvement in the situation overnight, and since everyone listed above takes at least 5 years to mature - and Politicians are notoriously 'short term' in their outlook, I can't see it happening. Plus the fact they are masters of spin and making figures show whatever they want............ let's face it the first thing whoever gets into power always says is 'we've looked at the figures and it's worse than we imagined so we really can't do most of the things we promised during the election........'

The real solution is a higher rate of income tax and a much better fiscal regime and oversight of how it's spent. That is far too radical and is the ultimate vote loser so will never happen. The reality is that the countries where there is a higher rate of tax have a higher standard of living (for example Finland, Sweden and Norway) - and we are not prepared to accept that level of taxation or commitment to society.

Just my two pennyworth...............

Arc