PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get with the 21st Century CASA
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2017, 23:01
Captain Sherm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish

With all respect

CASA has already introduced mandatory simulator training requirements in CAO 82 and CASR Part 61. These mandate sim training for 9 seats and upwards.

The use of "lower level" devices to complement (not replace) on aeroplane training is the way the world is going now. I have colleagues in CASA working on how to approve credits for such devices.

Snide derogatory comments may make you feel good but they don't replace the patient hard work that's really needed.

You wouldn't be aware I suppose of the work done on LOC-I and UPRT. But clear clear findings that training for life threatening events by and under trainings instructor in a device being used beyond its limits is a very big threat. So don't expect CASA....or any regulator...to lightly approve credits in a training device. But there's no reason you can't practice procedures, checklists, scans etc in the devices at hand. Good pilots and schools have always done that.

But at the end of the day if you have a real EFTO it will be in a real aeroplane with live passengers and they will expect you to have a pretty good feel for how the aeroplane will behave and you can get that training in an aeroplane (with all the safety mitigators) or a full flight simulator.