PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2017, 19:56
Danny42C

MPN-11 (#10795),

"...On closer examination, he admitted "Dammit, you're right - have a souvenir!" and gave me the slide [now sadly lost]..."

I hope he wasn't looking through the slide "back to front" ? No, he wouldn't do a silly thing like that ......... would he ?

"...Plt Off MPN11 engaged with a lively discussion with Gp Capt Norman Hoad [who was doing a refresher Course, IIRC]..."

In 1955, SOs and a few VSOs attended a six month Course in the Empire Flying School at Manby, to bring them up to speed in the new, high speed Air Force. Freed from the responsibility of command, some of these old gentlemen happily reverted to being "one of the boys" and relived their early years. They flew their Canberras, Meteors and (later) a Hunter from Strubby. (At Manby they only flew Lincolns).

After night flying sessions at Strubby, most would down the odd noggin with us in our little Nissen Mess Bar. One one-star was a bit stand-offish and left early. "Old So-and-so's an ex-brat like me", confided a two-star, "but he doesn't like people to know about it !"

Danny.