PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADA AW139 Ditched?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2017, 13:38
Doors Off

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an MGB "Warning, Warning" Oil Temp event in a 139, (reported within company and national system). It was accompanied by an increasing MGB Oil Temp all the way to landing with the highest temp noted by myself at 137c. Of course it happened over water about 11nm from the coast, of course I followed RFM actions however, I briefed the crew to prepare to ditch and gave the ditching plan to all onboard. Whilst, stating that under current situations (normal pressure, no noise or vibration) that we would only ditch if we received secondary indications (vibrations/noise). Altitude was decreased to 200-300 ft over water and speed reduced (all gradually so as to not excite an already excited MGB),

A pan was also declared to ATC and intentions for arrival if we made feet dry (coastal airport). Fortunately, we had no secondary indications however, we were prepared to ditch 50m from shore or Land immediately in the trees short of the strip, if secondary indications presented themselves.

A dynamic situation, and though we suspected a cooling system issue, we didn't know for sure.

My point of this diatribe is; well done to the crew with ADA, they are all alive. Every situation is different yet, they made the tough decision to ditch based upon their situation. I, personally, am grateful for their decision and also believe that the fact they are all still breathing, support it.