PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2017, 11:22
Danny42C

Chugalug (#10787),

..."He need not fear a lynching by the mods"... Hope you're right !

It seems to me that the Griffon Spits, with their longer and more tapered noses, look more elegant than their snub-nosed Merlin cousins. Opinions ?

(if it's got a five blade prop, it's a Griffon engine). Their props go round "widdershins" (why ?), anti-clockwise as seen from the cockpit, so it tends to swing right when you open up: a trap for the unwary.

'''''''''''''
kookabat (#10790),

What a grand old chap is Howard ! Full of the joys of spring, and still flying. Has to be my age or thereabouts. Wish I were one-tenth as sparky ! (for that matter, Prince Philip is my age and still running around fine). ..."He can talk your ear off" ... - I think I could give him a run for his money !

His DFC would be in Bomber Command in UK, on Lancs. Disbanded after the war, 460 Squadron has been reformed in the RAAF in 2010. [Wiki]

Very few of that noble gathering would've even heard of a Vultee Vengeance, for our wars were 6,000 miles apart, and afterwards the VV has been totally forgotten.

As AA says, RESPECT - and then more RESPECT !

''''''''
Cooda Shooda (#10792)

..."There was an ad in a recent magazine looking for a partner/investor to help bring two Vengeance projects to flyable condition. One to be sold. Don't know if they've had any success".

("partner/investor" - forget it !)

If they end up with a Mk.III or Mk.IV plate, then watch it: the things will legally still be US property (Lend-Lease). Better find a Mk.I or Mk.II plate if they can (or make one) !
What I faintly remember about them is on Post here. Just an old pussycat to fly.

Cheers, all three, Danny.