PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Melbourne Air Traffic Control
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2017, 22:03
IsDon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another thought.

If your ATIS is saying 340/6 we will do the takeoff figures based on this. In reality, for a takeoff from 34, we would also usually take a worst case and plan nil wind and accept that we then have a few knots of fat in the performance figures.

It is unacceptable to then state "Qantas 93, clear for takeoff, tailwind max 4 knots". Especially when the aircraft is already lined up. The time to volunteer this vital information is not with the takeoff clearance for a 565T aircraft in the lined up position on an active runway. Before lineup would have been prudent.

To the Virgin aircraft that was forced to go around due to this unbelievably poor controlling I offer our apologies. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do given the circumstances we were put in.

I'll add that all indications from the windsock at the upwind threshold indicated nil wind and I believe the wind volunteered by the tower is taken from tower height. There is no way we will know the tower wind unless you tell us, at an operationally opportune time, or put the actual wind on the ATIS. Not something you dream up. We are obliged to use the worst case scenario for our takeoff performance calculations. If you tell us the wind is actually worse than you've made public, by a significant margin, expect delays while we recalculate.

Out of morbid interest we printed out the next three ATISs. It wasn't until the third change, 14 minutes after we had departed, that the real tailwind conditions were actually made public.

Why the big fu<king secret?????

Last edited by IsDon; 4th Jun 2017 at 22:24.