PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is an ATPL equal to BSc or BA?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 09:41
Homsap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an ATPL equal to BSc or BA?

This follows on from a previous thread, in which I questioned why a FI Rating has no status as a qualification outside aviation, likewise the same applis to the PPL, CPL and ATPL. This is a problem if someone does not have a first degree and wants to study for a Masters or PhD. UK Universities treat it on a case by case basis.

The combined UK Government website Gov.uk lists the equivalents for academic qualifications between the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) and the framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ). The UK also has the NVQ system which goes from 1 to 5, 5 being the top end so a masters or PhD. The FHEQ goes from 1 to 7.

Under FHEQ, HND is 5, BA or BSc is 6, MSc or MPhil is 7, PhD is 8, the FHEQ system seems much bettter than the NVQ system.

Does any one know if there is any equivalence in terms FHEQ system, in terms of PPL, CPL, ATPL, as I would say an ATPL is equivalent to FHEQ 6 (BSc or BA).

Is a pity that pilots spend quite alot of time and money on studying, yet the CAA have never engaged with the Higher Education community and FHEQ. To add to this any pilot leaving aviation for whatever reason can have real problems, in terms of employment, as most half decent jobs require a degree thesedays.

Goes anyone have any experience of this, and I would be interested what the situation is in North america.