PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 08:24
HungGarRebel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to start my CPL - a few concerns..

Hi guys, I've wanted to be a pilot for most of my childhood and all of my adult life. I'm now in a position to be able to fund my own training and should be able to do my PPL and CPL + Flight Instruction course full time and should be able to complete the whole thing within about 18 months.

I have spoken to a couple of people and have generally received a very negative response from people that have completed their CPL and not been able to find jobs. Also, I have been told by them I a too old to expect a good career in the industry. I am going into this field with my eyes wide open and I know it won't be easy (nothing worth doing ever is) but, I am going to be 31 by the time I finish my course which leaves me with nearly 35 years of a career ahead of me.

So in short, am I too old to be thinking of doing this? Yes, I am nearly 30 but I have no responsibilities and I am free and capable to travel anywhere I need to in order to take a job that will allow me to begin racking up some hours. Is that enough to over come my age disadvantage or did I really need the rich family that would fund me through this at the age of 18?

All responses appreciated, I never expected to get soo much negative feedback from people that had done their CPL.