PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transporting of Helicopters on trailers
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 15:22
500guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chopjock
There are advantages to trailering though. For example you can mobilise 24 / 7, day or night and in almost any weather! Also no flight plans required. Sea crossings are much less stressful too! and think of the component times you are saving on. Also if it breaks down you can recover it yourself! Probably take your own fuel too.
Flying long distance to a location just to do work makes it an expensive taxi.
I'll agree with you on the weather bit. And the sea crossings, (though its not an issue in the US)

I have not filed a flight plan ever. Not sure I ever will. VFR only and 99% of that is in uncontrolled airspace.

If it breaks down? my do your ships break down that often? We have less than one day a year per aircraft down for maintenance.

look at the opportunity cost of putting it on a trailer.
If i finish a job in New York today, and want to bring it to job in Missouri (1000 miles away) I can fly it there in the better part of a day and be ready to work the following day. If I trailer it, it takes at least 2 days to load it remove the blades (500) truck it there and unload it. the few thousand dollars in component time is more than paid for from the extra day of work.