PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PIA Manchester Scare.
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2003, 01:33
Kurtz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear 411A, can't help but ask how often you have paxed with the likes of PIA on your hols? Or indeed how many others of us herewith use third world airlines for our leisure.
As someone else commented on Third World Licences, and the problems of slander, I too shall not be specific......however I remember being 'wet leased' to a third world country, and requiring their licence to operate their aircraft. I remember being quite stunned standing in their CAA equivalent office, facing their official. The Company Ops Manager with me was required to produce my UK ATPL, and then commence counting cash money into this official's hand. The process continued over several minutes, amazingly not a sound (other than my elevated breathing and heart rate) until this 'official' considered he had made enough 'dash', and handed over my nice shiny licence - which I still have. No exams, no questions, no Base Check, just the equivalent (then) of approximately £500.00. I queried it on our way out, and was told that it was the only way to obtain one within six months. During my 'tour' there, I saw two major accidents, three moderate, and knew of at least twice as many overall in country, all with the National and two Regional type carriers.

It sometimes does cost quite a lot more to fly with a UK/US/Western European operator (and some of the last mentioned are dubious!!!), but I would cancel the family hols rather than risk any of us on what passes for Airlines in most of the Third World. Anyone in any doubt at all need only consult accident stats world wide. PIA....