PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Rollover Question?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2003, 01:18
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
Crab,

Strange it required test pilots to crash to prove for themselves what was already known for years about dynamic rollover, the knowledge was already right there in the RAF! Why didn't they just ask the Puma boys? (same scenario as Sea King but with a narrower undercarriage width).

Your last comment is very true. Raising the lever gives (a lot) more cyclic control power so if the cyclic isn't already offset to the "recovery" side, the inertia of the aircraft might not be overcome in time. Then it's "Clap hands here comes Cadburys and mind me car, Biggles".

Had DR myself once and nearly took out an army dog handler and his dog during my over enthusiastic recovery. The old Puma, having sat happily on the ground for about half a minute, suddenly slipped sideways on me, only about a yard or so, down the steep rocky slope; it was wet, muddy limestone. Then the wheels found firmer ground again and stopped very suddenly. The rest of the aircraft didn't stop and she rolled away from the slope against full inslope cyclic (not a lot available on that old bird). I pulled an armful of collective and she rapidly rolled back into the slope, the blades nearly hitting the ground. Fortunately the army had disembarked at the gallop and were outside the disc...

Crewman highly unimpressed, as he was looking through the side door at sky one second and the slope the next.

Potential nightmare stuff.