PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Comet 4 memories and memorabilia
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2017, 00:15
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dan-Air bought most of the retired Comets at scrap price, not only to put them into service but to use them for parts. Most were flown back to Lasham for stripping, others were dismantled at their last base. I believe that photo of the three EAA hulks will be at Lasham.

We had one more Comet here in the US: N999WA (not sure of the pre-US pedigree...N number deregistered)
Actually there were three US-registered Comets, the three former Mexicana 4Cs, sold when retired as N777WA, N888WA and N999WA. They did indeed then follow convoluted but separate lives through various obscure owners, never really being used. 777 ended up at a zoo back in Mexico and was broken up a few years back, 888 is the one now at Seattle, and 999 was derelict at O'Hare for some 20 years but scrapped in the 1990s.

I'm not quite clear how they got onto the US register given that the flight deck/forward section is also the design used on the original Caravelles (it was designed, and the first few were actually built under subcontract, by De Havilland), which the FAA rejected when United ordered their 20 Caravelles, on the grounds of insufficient visibility for the crew, and Sud had to re-engineer it with larger windows. Looking at the photo of the aircraft at Seattle, above, I can sort of see the FAA's point.

Last edited by WHBM; 1st Jun 2017 at 10:55.