PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC callsign and freq readback
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2003, 21:40
10W

PPRuNe Bashaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Menen

You'd certainly get chipped by me !!!

If you don't read back then we don't know if you have actually got the information. So we phone the next sector to ask if you have called. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes, in fact frequently, the answer is no. So then we have to check again that you have got the transfer instruction leading to ........

no wonder people can't get a word in edge-wise.
as well as wasting our time in trying to track you down.

Or perhaps with our crystal clear RT and you writing it down diligently you don't call on 125.67 but sit on 125.65 instead .... like the US crew did the other day for 100 miles. I'm sure the Air Defence interceptor pilots loved their daytime TV viewing being disrupted by that pilot as they prepared to scramble No one is prepared to take chance letting aircraft sit there out of contact these days. Way of the world. Now if only the pilot had actually read back the frequency his error could possibly have been picked up ??? (it could have been finger trouble of course .... but a read back would have proved that one way or another)

I hope it doesn't take a shoot down, because of non adherence to 'progress' to educate people that there are logical reasons for some things. They're not there just on a whim. 'Prolonged loss of contact' is a hot potato in the UK at the moment (France is even more twitchy) and there are several close calls each week where airline pilots might be getting some close formation practice which end up being narrowly averted (company ACARS is often a godsend). Law of probability is that one day it will go all the way to the wire.

A couple of seconds to read back a frequency could avert the vast majority of these incidents. Trust me.