PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - current employment outlook
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2017, 11:06
BearForce One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough decision!

Hi Deedle,

Great to read your post. I guess you could say I'm potentially in a similar position. I'm a 43 year old decorator, always loved flying and wanted to be a pilot. Don't have the cash to hand to fund training, but I do have a btl flat that would more or less create that if I sold it.

I like a risk as much as the next man, but that's a big old binary right there! My flat is my "second pension", added security in case my SIPP tanks with the "adventurous" mix of shares I've put in it..

It's really difficult, isn't it?

Could have a great flying job I really loved, not too bothered about airlines as I have a young family too so would accept a lower salary. And no regrets when I'm older because I went for my dream.

Vs I spunk all the money on a bit of paper, my pension goes pear-shaped and the flat I sold ends up being worth £1m by the time I (don't) retire, a bitter old man.

So, in the meantime I took up gliding about two years ago. I'm lucky enough to live near Lasham so couldn't be much better. I fly on average twice a month, but often have cheeky days off in the week when weather's good. Like you, I expect, I'm self-employed.

I've got 60hrs P1 now (no tittering from anyone please!) and aim to do my NPPL this autumn, which you may or may not know can be done in 15hrs once you reach a certain standard in gliding.

What I'm saying is, if you're not sure, why not see if there's a gliding club near you? Or any other kind of cheapish flying? Odds are you'll meet a few airline pilots or people involved in the industry, they're all friendly.

I'd love to do my CPL eventually and maybe some instructing, start with trial flights in gliders and just see where it takes me.

I do not believe it's impossible, but it is potentially a very large gamble. Depends on your attitude to risk and how much you like having money for a rainy day/retirement.

Really good to read your post and glad it's not just me