PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LCY Remote Tower
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2017, 22:28
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, as I've noted upthread, it will be interesting to see how familiarisation with the real world environment will be maintained.

Zooker, I think many of us are 'yet to be convinced', including me, but let's not just dismiss it out of hand and hark back to the days of bandboxed GMC with paper strips and no radar, when men were men etc etc.

Not aiming this at you personally by the way.

Controllers as a bunch are cynical, and I'm one of the most cynical out there, believe me. However, when faced with a new development/technology, many just seem to turn away from it (it'll never work! bah humbug!) rather than asking themselves "how could this work? How could we use this to improve the ATCO task?"

Such as the example I quoted above about highlighting low level traffic, or perhaps displaying WIP on the visual picture, and providing warnings if aircraft turn towards it or cross an imaginary line? Or providing instant 'deemed separation' by drawing a vertical line on the screen.....as long as the aircraft stay their respective sides of the line, they are considered separated. Etc etc.

We live in interesting times. Why not experience them first before judging, that's all I'm saying.