PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash reported Mull Of Kintyre
Old 30th May 2017, 21:23
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxred
PB, agree. I reviewed the video, taken from 5300, over Dunoon, and it was pretty crap. OC about 3500, no breaks visible, with the fog bank extending to Arran. I have ran into a wall of fog at that channel many times. Only way is up and on top. Or through it, but then you are full IMC.
I had I bit of "oh **** what am I doing here" moment over that area a few years back before I had my instrument ticket. Heading back up to Forfar from Strathaven in the alley between GLA and EDI and decided on the spur of the moment to swing west and go to Glenforsa for something to eat, got clearance for the overhead at Glasgow then started climbing . First broken layer was about 3K then a second one about 5k, was stitching my way up thru holes in the layers when my room to manoeuvre started closing up coupled with slowing climb rate, smaller holes and the layers merging all accompanied with that knot in my stomach getting bigger and tightening grip on the yolk. I thought to myself you idiot going of on an unplanned jolly in marginal weather over the West Coast. Broke out on top to blue skies, my arse immediately unpuckered itself and I had a lovely lunch at the hotel.
Lessons learned: Look before you leap.