PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2017, 19:44
Ormeside28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny, Chugalug and Harry's, what a great crew Room! Coastal was run by joint Maritime Headquarters, usually, in my time, with Maritime HQ at Northwood with the C in C Coastal and a Vice Admiral. 19 Group at Mountbatten and 18 Group at Pitreavie, near Rosyth both commanded by a AVM and a Vice Admiral. We all got on well and I never remember any problems with joint operations as most of our operations, shadowing, Anti - sub etc were ordered by the Navy. I do not think, certainly in my time, that either side wanted things changed.
Back to Topcliffe. In August 1957 203 disbanded and those staying in Coastal went to 210 or 36. As my wife was pregnant my Group Captain, without my knowledge, arranged for us to be posted to 120 Squadron at Aldergrove, to be converted to Shackletons on the Squadron and the Station leaders, so by passing Kinloss. Very kind. After my conversion I was given a Captaincy and we settled in a hiring near Belfast.
Soon after settling in at Aldergrove the Vulcan crashed at London airport. It had been supported on its trip to Australia and New Zealand by a Shackleton from 120. So that crew arrived back with lots of questions asked. Then one of the Topcliffe Neptunes on the JASS course at Londonderry, crashed on the Mull of Kintyre. You will remember the Captain, Danny. Shortly after that, the Suez war started and our Shacks were used as troop carriers with 25 soldiers sitting on the floor! The ones I brought back were very disillusioned!
By this time those from the Neptune Squadrons were arriving in the Shackleton Squadrons having been through the Shack conversion and I was able to meet old friends again. We had a Meteorological Squadron of Hastings at Aldergrove which carried out weather trips out in the Atlantic.
Again our trips were similar to those that we had done from Topcliffe, but we went further north and west. Still carried on our weather ship mail drops. Operations in the Mediterranean, shadowing east and north. One notable trip was to the U.S. Naval bases. Stephenville, Norfolk, Guantanamo, Key West, Jacksonville and Brunswick. Followed by two weeks with the Canadians at Greenwood.
Towards the end of my tour with 120, a pal I/c postings at Command asked me if I would like to go to 205,converting from Sunderlands at Seletar to Shackletons at Changi. So it was up sticks again. Northern Ireland was beginning to suffer from terror. Coming back from Aldergrove late at night after flying, we would see road blocks in the road and hope that those manning it were the B Special Police and not the opposition. Sea Eagle closed down shortly after we left, the ships left Londonderry. (Lots of unemployed). The Navy left Eglinton, we left Ballykelly and Aldergrove. Sad! I will tell about 205 and Gan next.