PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Service Medal for Officers
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 19:47
gijoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Onceapilot
You know why the Op Allowance is there? It is a UK Poli's ploy to bury the fact that Uncle Sams servicemen work income tax-free on Ops. The UK answer to that was an OA rate that just about covered a very junior servicemans tax level. This allows gob****e UK Polis to BS their way out of that criticism and, they have worked to make OA as limited as possible ever since.

OAP
Spot on - so in answer to Bob V's point, it should be paid to all of those filling an op PID. Not the selective few who are geographically positioned in the place that has been deemed worthy. All should get it or none - in its current form it is divisive. There are places that get the tick that are seriously 'not dangerous' and very comfortable. And given it was to parallel the US model it is missing the mark by miles.

The LS for officers is not needed. The funding would be better spent on recognising the lengthy time away on ops that more and more personnel are picking up - yet unrecognised. And that would probably convince juniors to stay in longer - some are questioning what this ops thing is all about if it is not recognised with a medal or op allowance.

Bob - I don't think I called anyone a chinless wonder - I'll leave that task to the digusting creature Peter Mandelson and his comments on the Household Division - but there are plenty around who swerve every 6 monther that comes up citing health or family reasons or...running a business!

Loads.

G

Last edited by gijoe; 29th May 2017 at 20:06.