PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HELP! Florida flight school has taken my money
Old 29th May 2017, 18:23
TowerDog

SkyGod

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HEMS driver
Yes it is. The correct way is to get a lien on one or more of their aircraft if money is owned. Tower Dog is suggesting that the OP commit a felony under Florida statutes. Maybe that is how it was done in the "old country" (UK) back in the day.
No idea how it was done it the U.K. Back in the day, not from there.

To get a lien you first have to get a judgment.
If the airplanes are leased or mortgaged, you may be out of luck.

If dealing with scumbags I would be less inclined to follow the law to the letter:

I have been renting dock space to sailboats for a long time.
If a tenant does not want to pay, you can't just cut him loose or have him towed.
Let the bill run up, then file a Lien with the Sherff, then have a diver take the prop of the boat so he can't skip out of town in the middle of night, either way, pain in the butt.
One guy at my dock decided he was not going to pay rent anymore.
Called him up and explained I would be taking parts of his brand new Diesel engine and sell them on eBay every month to cover the rent: 4 injectors are a month's rent, the injector pump should cover 2 months, etc.
Next day there was an express letter in the mail with dock rent.
Had no problems after that.
(No idea about the legality of my method, what is the scumbag going to do, sue me?. Go right ahead)

Also been renting out apartments and condos, never had a problem getting my rent checks, guess all the tenants though put it was a good idea to pay on time, but have heard horror stories about other landlords being screwed left and right.