PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flt Lt W L 'Tommy' Thompson 1927-2017
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 18:00
Snakecharmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Top West 50
I served with your father on No 214 Squadron, as co-pilot, and remember him fondly. I had arrived on 214 from 57 on 1 Sep 66 and I suspect your father followed a similar route.

I flew with him twice, both check rides, on 2 Feb 67 and 21 Aug 67. I think he was the Squadron QFI?

I had a very happy time on 214 under, firstly, Colin Preece and then Dave Mullarkey (Captain Moonlight) before leaving at the end of 1968 for CFS.

I returned to Marham at the end of 1975 as OC 232 (Victor K2) but I was also responsible for the K1 simulator. I'm not sure if your father was still there?

Some of us who lived in the West Wing at the time are having a reunion (50 years) lunch on Wednesday 14 June. If anyone readng this qualifies and would like to come along, please let me know?

Once again, I am sorry about the loss of your father.
Thanks for your kind words... yes, I understand 3 crews with QFI Captains moved from 57 to form the nucleus of 214... he was one such QFI; I'll check his logbooks for your entries once I return home later this week. By 1975, he'd moved to the Canberra... I think he was getting a bit stale on the Victor; he much preferred bombing to tanking!