PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 29th May 2017, 09:52
Bugs to forty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taff

I'm pleased you've moved to the OASC thread as it provides a useful trail for all potential candidates to read.

The latest CBAT battery (PB15) has been refined and re-weighted over the last few years to give what is believed to be a very robust indication of a candidate's potential to succeed in an aptitude branch. On average, candidates improve their raw scores in each discipline by around 6% at a second attempt; sure, there is some familiarization that you will have acquired - but at your second and subsequent attempts, the testing equipment will recognize you (by your name and DOB) and clever algorithms make adjustments to remove some of the familiarity gains. It is for this reason that you should never be given a re-test within 12 months.

At point of selection, OASC will be looking for certain numbers of WSOp candidates (driven by their ITT targets) from either Serving Airmen (SA) or Direct Entry (DE). The reason for the split is based on course allocations; i.e., there are sometimes limited spaces at Halton for ITC because that covers all trades whereas the NCAITC at Cranwell could take a greater number of potential SNCOs by drawing them from the SA pool.

Following CBAT, an OASC Boarding Officer should have advised you on options for the way ahead - particularly if you said you were keen to join now then re-sit CBAT in 12 months. Given your interests, I would suggest looking at the Flight Ops Assistant (FOA) role; you will get excellent and very relevant training as you progress through the school at RAF Shawbury and that knowledge will, in itself, help with ground school if or when you achieve your aim of WSOp. Otherwise, Regt could be fun for a while but don't even think about it unless you're already very fit!

Ultimately, by joining ASAP you're also saving time in the long run because you're getting initial recruit training out of the way during the next 12 months.

Bugs