PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine overheat
Thread: Engine overheat
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 06:33
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k738
Referring to the QRH, checklist instruction ;

'The flight crew must be aware that checklists cannot be created for all conceivable situations and are not intended to replace good judgment. In some situations, at the captain's discretion, deviation from a checklist can be needed'.

Im sure there is a lot of different opinions on this, which is good. Im my opinion, stop, breathe and think for some secconds is a good thing before acting.
I'm definitely in favor of "sit on your hands for 10 seconds, look around and think before acting". Haste makes waste. That being said however, I don't think the quote from the QRH above was what Boeing meant. I think it goes merely to Boeing's recognition that it's impossible to create checklist for all situations, like multiple failures, because the QRH would then have thousands of pages. So, we don't have a checklist for Loss of system A + engine failure, but we do have one for engine overheat condition.

There's a lot written about troubleshooting in Boeing's manuals, worth a read.

Parked at stand, and with normal engine indication
What do you consider normal engine indications with an engine overheat/fire? 737 has no nacelle temperature indication, unlike some other aircraft types and the only information you have are the engine overheat light and the fire switch light.