PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - John Travolta gifts his 707-138 to HARS
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2017, 04:02
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tail wheel
Have you thought that perhaps at age 63 Travolta may no longer wish to retain the privileges (and training obligations) of an ATPL or CPL
well;

1) Neither a US ATP nor CPL have any more recurrent training obligations for someone flying for personal reasons.

2) JT has never, to my knowledge held anything other than a Private Pilot certificate. His license is a frequent topic on internet aviation forums, and on various occasions over hte years the discussions have piqued my curiosity so that I've checked the FAA database. Yep, still a PPL, every time.

It always astonishes me that people want to make such a big deal about the fact that he has only a private license. Ummm, so what? Apparently, that's the level of pilot certificate he wants. If he wanted to have an ATP, somewhere along the line of getting 8 different jet type ratings, he probably could have squeezed in an ATP ride too. So, it would appear that keeping his PPL is a choice. Not sure why he wants to hold a PPL only, perhaps he's making some point about working pilots vs pilots who fly for personal reasons. I don't know and can only speculate. If I ever meet him, maybe I'll ask him. But at the end of the day, who cares that he only has a PPLL, and why does anyone care?