PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "The Rise and Fall of Flight West"
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 20:54
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torres,
dearly love to have a read of their OM, just for an historical perspective and consideration of the question, is it any safer today than it was back then?

Our part A, with all the FOI inclusions, runs to over a thousand pages and took two years to get "Accepted". The "Alternative Flight Manual" Part B runs to over six hundred pages with all the FOI inclusions, nobody looks at it much because all the information you need is in the real Flight Manual and thats the "Legal" document thats actually carried in the aircraft.

I've often thought that CAsA should produce "Generic" operations manuals.
Save a lot of time. money and angst. Could be a real money spinner for them and would certainly standardise operations across the country. No more arguments over check lists being accepted in one region, but rejected in another.
" West Australian border approaching Captain" " Thanks No 1, drag out the WA checklist please and do be careful not to mix it up with the NT one." I kid you not its actually happened.

The down side I guess is it would take twenty years of committees and cost millions just to get all the FOI's into some form of alignment. Probably have to remove a couple of seats in the aircraft to stack all the volumes as well.
Sorry, on reflection bad idea, its bad enough now, but an hour at the holding point to complete the generic "Before Take off checklist" would probably be a Tad odorous.