PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA delays at LHR - Computer issue
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2017, 09:07
Bobbsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know tht SLF are only tolerated here and when admit that, before retirement, I was in charge of engineering for a TV News Agency I suspect there will be muttering under a lot of breaths.

However, because we had to broadcast live a lot of the time, we put in an elaborate back up power system. All critical facilities (in our case, studios, control rooms, edit rooms, computers etc.) ran on a UPS that could keep the whole load going for 30+ minutes. In addition, there were two auto-start generators. Either of these generated enough power to keep all essential services running. If both came on, we would power the whole building--offices and so on--but if one failed for any reason or another, there was automatic load shedding to turn off power to non essentials and keep the important parts going.

On top of that--but very important--we tested the system once a month. Technical management took turns coming in at around midnight, throwing the main power supply off and letting the generators take the load for half an hour or so. The diesel engines running the generators were inspected the next morming.

On top of all that, even before we got to UPS units and generators, we had two separate power supplies into the building and multiple different routes to feed data (and in our case video) out of the building.

It may have been expensive but the accountants were eventually convinced that it was more economical than going off the air.

So it CAN be done.