PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Denny Dobson, Flying Legend?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2003, 08:04
Waldo Pepper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Denny Dobson, Flying Legend?

Have you ever seen a Denny Dobson display? What did you think of it? I'm curious...doesn't matter if you're an aerobatic ace, or an airshow spectator...I'm just wondering if I'm missing the point of this fellow. I know that ego is a part of a display pilot's character, but our Denny really takes the biscuit. He's continually touted as an aerobatic legend, yet his displays in his blue and yellow Extra300 don't seem to me to be that accomplished....which is not a major problem in itself, since he appears to be safe...How does he stand up though, when compared to pilots like Brian Lecomber, Nigel Lamb, Will Curtis, Alan Cassidy,
Mark Jeffries, Diana Britten, Steve Jones, Paul Bonhomme etc...
I only ask because of all the hype that surrounds this guy. It's incredible , really it is. I know he was "self-taught", which may explain some of his flying, and I've heard that he doesn't charge for his displays, which I'm not sure I believe, because he does seem to work quite hard at it.
I guess the point I'm making here is that if he's as good as he thinks he is, why does he always seem to be going on about it? The best pilots I know just get on with it and let their flying do the talking..if anything, they're highly self critical. If he's not as good as he thinks he is...well, that's another problem altogether.