PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Spitfire visit Laarbruch 1979/80
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2017, 15:30
Romeojulietgolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottso
From a Logbook check. The BBMF Lanc flew direct from Coningsby to Laaarbruch on 24Sep82 for an 11(F) Sqn event. The aircraft flew, displayed, at Laarbruch and Wildenrath on 25Sep prior to returning from Laarbruch to Coningsby via Manston on 26Sep82.

That was the final series of flights for the Lanc that year. Out of interest the Flight Engineer was MEng Derek Butcher who had joined the RAF in 1942 and been shot down in a Lanc over Abeville in August 1944. He was taken prisoner and escaped twice, the second time living with a family in Brussels until the city was liberated by Canadian and British Forces. I believe this was his first revisit to Germany in a Lanc since the war so there was time to look out of the windows and enjoy the scenery and reminisce.

A story from the Laarbruch transit - The Lanc was normally pretty pristine and seldom leaked oil. Somewhere en route the No 3 engine developed a small oil leak and I pointed this out to Derek. He took one quick look and said something quietly along the lines of. 'OK, I see it and will tell you before you need to worry!!' Nicely put - and me well in my place but even more respectful when I considered his background. I think this may have been Derek's last outing with the Flight.

The co-pilot was Bill Houldsworth; he joined the RAF in 1943 as a WOpAG flying Ansons, Whitleys, Wellingtons, Stirlings, Halifaxes and Lancasters before reroling to pilot in 1951. He subsequently flew Lancasters, Neptunes, Hastings and Shackletons (MR and AEW).

Bill flew on Operation Manna, dropping food supplies to the Dutch in May 1945; his final flight in the RAF was on the 1985 (40th) anniversary of Operation Manna when the Flight dropped leaflets and poppies - and also a tin of Liquorice Allsorts on a small parachute as had been done on several occasions in 1945. Bill organised the sweetie aspect and the Bassets Liquorice All Sorts were duly dropped over the airfield at Gilze Rijen by Bill, from the rear turret, and later presented to a local orphanage - typical Bill.

Bill was something of a legend in the Maritime world before coming to help out at Coningsby where he was an Ops Officer full time and part time Lancaster pilot from whom I learned a great deal. I was starting with zero hours in the left seat and about 25 hours total on the Lanc. It was a comfort for confidence to have colleagues such as Bill and Derek; in the early months it was Bill that did the stronger crosswind landings and the approaches into the shorter airfields

Hope that puts a bit more flesh on the outing. Respects to two grand men and aviators who are with us no more.
I am sorry to reply to this thread four years on but I came across it whilst searching for the BBMF in Germany. I have good reason to remember the visit as I was lucky enough to fly in the Lanc on the second day in the rear turret. Bill Houldsworth was my Boss when I was working in Coningsby Station Ops. Bill had promised me a trip in the Lancaster but I got posted to Laarbruch before I got the chance to fly. I meet the Lanc when it arrived at Laarbruch and it was nice surprise to see that Bill was the Co-pilot. The following day I was sleeping off nights and I got a knock on the door in Weeze and was told I was going to get a flight in the Lanc. Typical of Bill, he had not fogotten his promise! I am 6ft and not built to be a rear gunner but some how I managed to squeeze into the turret before the door were closed behind me. It was only after we landed that the thought occurred to me that I would not have been able to get out of the aircraft had it got into difficulties. It has been a good talking point over the years, as I was able to say I flew in the Lanc over Germany.

Reading some of the other posts I seem to recall back in 82 being told that It was the first time BBMF Lanc had been back to Germany, but it was along time ago. Bill did mention the Shackleton flight where they filled the tail fins with sea water and he also spoke was on the longest Shackleton flight of 24+ hours.