PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arsonist on Sharm el-Sheikh flight has sentence doubled
Old 27th May 2017, 01:35
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I expected to be disagreed with - as is usual for me, my argument is based on the logic of an automaton. However, there now seems to be some not-so-veiled suggestions that the crime was more serious, and can only conclude there must have been very specific intent.

If that is the case, then the crime was extremely serious and IMHO the appeal was just.

However, there is still the issue of modern aircraft's vulnerability and is a subject that's been ongoing for years. Although it's more in the nature of a technical discussion, I would suggest the subject of those disposal units should be brought to the fore, because it won't be long before there's a harassed young mum thinking she can get away with what she believes to be a very minor bit of rule-breaking.

She should now know the seriousness - and fear the law?

Well, this is a major point about deterrent sentencing. It becomes etched in the minds of lawyers but is soon lost in the memories of everyday folk - those that hear about it at all, that is.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I see mentioned above. That has always puzzled me. I've got a vague recollection of English Common Law having some bedrock logic like, You can't be ordered to do something you can not possibly comply with. Well, being compelled to know the law in its entirety is . . . I probably don't need I go on, but the word absurd comes to mind.

I said earlier:

The occasional scrap is bad enough but drink fuelled, deep-rooted anger could lead to a major 'I hate the world/life/people' type of rage. To have the aircraft so vulnerable to a psychotic episode is bewildering in this technological age.
These beautifully engineered and complex machines are as vulnerable as a child and it occurred to me as I reread my post that of course it's not only hostile passengers that bring aircraft down. We will forever be in the hands of humans, with human vulnerabilities.

With a never ending battle going on to protect aircraft from real enemies, is it reasonable that in addition to drunks and self-proclaimed warriors, that aforementioned stressed out young mother might just bring about the same catastrophe?