PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sully's Flare on the Hudson: Airbus Phugoid Feedback
Old 26th May 2017, 23:39
Once_a_nomad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The A vs B discussion is usually a robust sign that a thread is pretty dead. Anyway I find the airspeed discussion more interesting than phugoid damping...but I for the record I felt compelled to add that I believe their airspeed, under "just culture", was an honest mistake. (one never knows who else might read these threads). Nothing was normal that day. Pitch wasn't "normal". ECAM (a lot, despite some inhibited warnings). TCAS. Windshear. Priority Left. GPWS and EGPWS. There's too much noise. QRH is either too long and/or irrelevant (like evacuation - select parking brake on).

The flight envelope protection debate...Sullenberger flew the aircraft and everybody walked away. I briefly wondered if he was actually aware of what mode/law it was in (was he thinking "what's it doing now" when he pulled the stick back full?), but for myself I came to the conclusion it did not matter there in that particular case.

Sullenberger and Skiles were prepared for the unexpected. They managed the unexpected. For me that's a key takeaway.